In recent years, there has been a growing interest in the potential health benefits of CBD, or cannabidiol. CBD is a non-psychoactive component of marijuana that has been shown to have various therapeutic effects, including chronic pain relief. However, despite its popularity, there is still much confusion and uncertainty surrounding the regulation of CBD products.
In September 2023, bipartisan federal lawmakers introduced legislation aimed at updating federal hemp rules to ensure that hemp-derived CBD is regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) like other legal products found in dietary supplements, foods, and beverages. The legislation, called the Hemp Access and Consumer Safety Act, would give hemp-derived CBD products the opportunity to lawfully be used in these products, prioritize consumer safety by requiring manufacturers to comply with existing federal regulations, and ensure proper labeling.
This legislation is crucial because despite the legalization of hemp in the 2018 Farm Bill, the FDA has not issued implementing regulations for CBD products. Instead, they have left the matter to Congress. This has created a regulatory gray zone that puts consumers at risk and holds producers back. The Hemp Access and Consumer Safety Act seeks to address these issues and provide equal and safe access to hemp-derived CBD.
The FDA's current stance on CBD is that it does not have a regulatory pathway to enact regulations for CBD in the food supply or as a dietary supplement. However, they have expressed a willingness to work with Congress on a potential regulatory pathway. The Hemp Access and Consumer Safety Act would provide that pathway and allow the FDA to regulate CBD products like other new dietary ingredients, foods, and beverages.
The lawmakers behind the Hemp Access and Consumer Safety Act argue that CBD products have been available to consumers for five years without common-sense safety regulations. They believe that it is time for Congress to act and ensure that consumers are protected and manufacturers are supported.
While the potential health benefits of CBD have been widely discussed, it is important to note that there is currently no evidence to suggest that it can effectively manage diabetes or its symptoms. It is crucial for individuals with diabetes to focus on established management strategies, including lifestyle changes and medication, as recommended by healthcare providers.
In conclusion, the regulation of CBD products is an ongoing issue that requires attention and action. The Hemp Access and Consumer Safety Act aims to provide a clear and consistent framework for the production, marketing, and sale of hemp-derived CBD products while prioritizing consumer safety. As the CBD industry continues to grow, it is important for lawmakers, regulators, and stakeholders to work together to ensure that consumers are protected and that CBD products meet high standards of quality and safety.
0. “CBD benefits to help you take control of your health” www.openaccessgovernment.org, 1 Aug. 2023, https://www.openaccessgovernment.org/cbd-benefits-health-anxiety-stress-sleep-menopause/162613/
1. “The Food and Beverage Industry Is Changing: And CBD Is at Its …” www.worldteanews.com, 1 Aug. 2023, https://www.worldteanews.com/sponsored/food-and-beverage-industry-changing-and-cbd-its-forefront
2. “U.S. Senator Ron Wyden, Colleagues Introduce Bicameral …” goldrushcam.com, 1 Aug. 2023, https://goldrushcam.com/sierrasuntimes/index.php/news/local-news/48036-u-s-senator-ron-wyden-colleagues-introduce-bicameral-legislation-to-update-regulations-to-ensure-equal-and-safe-access-to-hemp-derived-cbd-products
3. “Bipartisan Senate And House Lawmakers Seek Expert Input On …” www.marijuanamoment.net, 1 Aug. 2023, https://www.marijuanamoment.net/bipartisan-senate-and-house-lawmakers-seek-expert-input-on-cbd-regulations-as-fda-faces-pressure-to-act/
4. “CBD Against Diabetes? – Prevention, Treatment, News …” www.atmph.org, 1 Aug. 2023, https://www.atmph.org/health/does-cbd-help-with-diabetes/